Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Toxicity of sago palm

Sago palm is toxic to animals including humans

Sago palm (Cycas revoluta) toxicity

Sago palm is toxic to animals including humans, if the digested. Clinical symptoms occur within 12 hours after digestion include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, fainting or liver function failure. This palm is toxic in all its parts. In seeds are toxic substances known as cycasin high. These toxins irritate the digestive tract. If the level is high enough, it causes the liver to failure. Cycas revoluta also contains other toxic substances such as Beta-methylamino L-alanine, which is toxic to the nervous system and toxic that have many indistinguishable, which causes paralysis in cattle.

Sago palm will contain a compound called cycasin

Caution of sago palm (Cycas revoluta) planting

Planting, you should be well spaced. It will not jam and cannot see the beauty. It is a plant that is toxic for humans and animals. Cycas revoluta will contain a compound called cycasin to damage the liver and nervous system, if it gets into the body in large quantities. Especially in seeds of it has the most amount of this substance. Some dog owners have to cry, because dog died from the fruit of sago palm that they bite to play. Therefore if you have dogs or small children, sago palm is not advisable to planting it would be better.